Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A different kind of day...

Today, I was reminded that Noah is still a work-in-progress, and I was reminded of how far he has come...developmental delay or not. I have been taking Noah to the library every Tuesday morning at 10:00 a.m. for story time. He has been the only kid there every week. He usually walks in, waits on the carpet for Ms. Cindy to come with the books to read, then waits at the table for Mrs. Runae and the arts and crafts time, then he pretty much has free reign of the library. Today was the kick-off for the summer reading program. When he walked in and saw the other kids there, and got his routine messed up, he just threw himself in the floor and started screaming. It was a brief reminder of how he used to be all the time!!! I took him outside and tried to reason with him, but the change of structure and routine for him was just to much. As much as he talks now ( a year-and-a-half ago he was totally non-verbal) he still is tormented by anxiety and communicating. He has been doing so good lately too, but today was different. Then he went into total baby mode: sitting in my lap, sucking his fingers, etc. Finally, he came around and things got better, but it's still so difficult for me to remember that he is different than the others. I still in my heart long for the day when he is standing in a huge church, filled with people, t.v. cameras rolling, and my boy says , " LOOK WHAT THE LORD HAS DONE!!!"

He is going to have an awesome testimony. I stand on God's word that Noah is healed. That no weapon formed against him will prosper. That God has not given Noah a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love and of a SOUND MIND.

He's come farther than the doctor thought he would anyway. The doctor thought Noah either had Austism or Aspergers and needed to be check by a neurologist. The doctor did not think Noah would ever talk, make friends, etc. Through God's divine will, I found out about the preschool program he goes to, and Noah can talk, sing, has friends, say his ABC's, read his ABC's (not words, just identify letters), write his name, he knows his colors, numbers, shapes, has all his motor skills...he can ride a bike, play ball, and swim...and so many other things. Before, Noah would not make eye contact with people, he would stay by himself in a room full of kids, he would not respond always when people spoke to him. I would say HE IS HEALED!!!

After we survived the library ordeal, my mom called and said she was having her car fixed, did we want to come pick her up and have lunch. And we did. It was so nice to sit down just me and my mom (Noah was playing...we were at Chick-fil-A) and just eat and talk. She normally works during the week, but her boss wasn't feeling good, so they got off early. We had a good time. Noah then fell asleep on the ride home, and is napping now. Hopefully, he will wake up better than before.

I have a few things to do around the house before getting ready for church tonight...I'm glad I prepared my lesson already...and yes, we have church on Tuesdays instead of Wednesdays. So, I guess that's all I know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment